Coquet Island cottages restoration
While the RSPB wardens on Coquet were busy preparing the island for next year’s influx of puffins, terns and eider ducks, parts of the old 15th century monastery have been undergoing a transformation from ruins to new accommodation for Capt’n Coquet and his team.
The focus of the work this autumn has been to restore the former keepers’ cottages, built in 1841, which at the time incorporated the remains of the monastic chapel. The work is part of an impressive project to consolidate and restore part of the scheduled ancient monument on Coquet, which was identified by English Heritage as a “building at risk”. The project is a joint venture, led by the Civic Trust in partnership with English Heritage, Northumberland Estates, the RSPB, Trinity House and the AONB.
The work is being expertly carried out by Team Force Restoration Ltd, specialists in this field and next spring, they will tackle the restoration of the lower stonework of the lighthouse, another part of the old monastery.
All the work is timed for completion before the birds return next April.