The Ambler

Amble's Community Newspaper: News & events from Amble in Northumberland – The Kindliest Port.

Antifreeze killed our cat

Bart the cat was rehomed by Carole Clark and her family, but sadly died after drinking antifreeze.

Bart the cat was rehomed by Carole Clark and her family, but sadly died after drinking antifreeze.

Amble resident Carole Clark is calling on animal owners to watch for spilled antifreeze after her cat was poisoned by ingesting the liquid.
“We recently had to have our cat put down because of kidney failure due to suspected antifreeze poisoning.” she said.

And she asks people to sign an online petition calling for antifreeze manufacturers to make the chemical taste less attractive to animals.
“Please make readers aware that this is a distressing and painful way for an animal to die.  The chemical damages the kidneys leading to kidney failure which would be very painful.  It is extremely distressing to have to watch an animal die this way.

Animals drink it because it tastes nice.  The manufacturers do not add anything to deter animals from drinking it.”

Over 4000 people have signed this petition so far but they need a total of 100,000 signatures.

Carole advised “It is also a good idea to keep any product containing Ethylene Glycol secured and to clear up any leakage and spillage appropriately.  According to the above sources, one teaspoon is fatal to a cat and one tablespoon is fatal to a dog.

Any deliberate poisoning (and we have no evidence that this was deliberate) could be deemed a criminal offence.”

She added: “I would like to thank the vets at Alnnorthumbria Veterinary Practice for the care they have given to our cat. If people who own pets could sign an online petition to support this campaign, it would be of great comfort.”

The online petitions can be found at www.change.org and www.bluedeath.org.uk.

Tagged as:

Leave a Response