Further concerns raised over Duke’s controversial housing scheme

Posted on 19th February 2026 | in Community

Councillors in Northumberland have raised concerns over potential changes to a controversial planning application in Amble.

Northumberland Estates – the Duke of Northumberland’s property company – was granted planning permission for 98 new homes in the seaside town in October 2024.

The scheme consisted of 58 supported living apartments and 40 standard homes built on land at Riverside Park south of the Gut. However, there are now concerns over the delivery of the supported living scheme.

As reported by The Ambler, residents were informed at a community meeting in January, that plans for the independent supported living (ISL) block had been axed.

📷 ‘Lifetime Neighbourhood’ development plans for Braid Hill included an Independent Supported Living block

Northumberland Estates has been working with the council to identify a provider for the supporting living building; however, the Local Democracy Reporting Service understands that feedback has indicated that delivery would require a larger building.

Northumberland Estates is keen to avoid this due to the potential impact on both the town centre and neighbouring residents. As such, this part of the scheme is already in review, with the other 40 homes already under construction.

Several options are currently being considered. Any revised scheme would require planning permission.

📷 The plans were passed in October 2024

Speaking at Wednesday’s meeting of the county council, Reform UK councillor for Amble West with Warkworth Pauline Davidson raised concern that the developer could build further homes on the site.

Addressing cabinet member for housing Coun Colin Horncastle, she said: “Could the cabinet member outline the council’s position to the proposed material change to the approved development at the Braid in Amble and the removal of the supported living block, which would have provided 56 apartments?

“It’s replacement would be with 20 additional houses, which would result in 60 overall. Residents are extremely angry that contractors have been allowed to complete the first phase of 40 houses without resubmission.

“I visited residents last night – they’re particularly concerned about the sewers, they’re very old. They have already had problems with sewage overflow – this is going to add to it.”

📷 The development site at Braid Hill has seen shrubs removed and fences put up.

The planning application proved controversial with over 50 letters of objection submitted to the council. When the scheme was approved, tempers at the North Northumberland Local Area Planning Committee boiled over – the decision was branded ‘disgraceful’ by some, while one man claimed he would have to sell his home as he “could not live” next to such a development.

The scheme was approved by five votes to two, with some members arguing that the need for supported living schemes outweighed the concerns raised by residents and Amble Town Council.

Responding to Coun Davidson, Coun Horncastle said: “I am aware Northumberland Estates have met the town council and indicated that they intend to make an application.

“Northumberland Estates can’t change the supported living element by any means other than a new planning application. We can’t predetermine our position in advance of an application.

📷 Around thirty people attended a recent consultation event with Wynyard Homes, where they learned the ISL would be axed

“The council will look at any new application and seek to refuse or approve it. The county council can’t tell an applicant what the application is going to be – they can only decide it when it comes in.

“I would suggest that if and when an application comes in, Coun Davidson should use her position and get involved. Because of the type of application it is, it will probably go to committee.

“Don’t be seen to predetermine it. If they have permission, we can’t make them build it – it is up to them if they want to try to alter it.”

Developer Wynyard Homes is delivering the 40 homes in accordance with the original decision on behalf of Northumberland Estates.

In a statement, Stephen Litherland, Development Planning and Operations for Wynyard Homes, said: “We have worked closely with Northumberland County Council for two years to deliver the approved Independent Supported Living Apartments, engaging with several Registered Providers based on our understanding of local need.

“Despite these efforts and wider marketing, we have not been able to secure an operator, so we are reviewing how that part of the scheme is best delivered. Wynyard Homes, in accordance with the approved planning permission, will begin development with the delivery of 40 houses.

“There is no change to the approved apartments at this time, and any future change would require a new planning application and full engagement with the Town Council and local community. Any revised scheme would continue to support the principles of a Lifetime Neighbourhood, providing accessible and adaptable homes that meet residents’ needs as they age and the overall level of affordable housing and homes for primary occupation will remain the same.”

James Robinson

Local Democracy Reporter Service

Share this...
Share on facebook
Facebook
Share on twitter
Twitter

One thought on "Further concerns raised over Duke’s controversial housing scheme"

  1. Paul Dancer says:

    This is simply predictable.
    Northumberland Estates blagged their way to a permission for housing with no intention of ever building the apartments.
    The only reason the site was approved by councillors against the strong local objections for development, was to provide the 58 units. The 40 houses should only have been approved for construction AFTER the apartments were delivered.
    Local residents have been failed by the planning Committee Members and Council Officers in planning and legal departments in both the decision made and its implementation.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *