Warmer weather increases need for Amble Lifeboats

Posted on 23rd July 2010 | in Community

Warmer weather increases need for Amble Lifeboats

Both the All-weather Lifeboat ‘The Four Boys’ and the D class Inshore Lifeboat ‘Rosemary Palmer’ were called out on several occasions at the end of May to assist local vessels.

A 19ft pleasure vessel “OSPREY” reported mechanical failure approx 500metres up river from Amble Lifeboat Station, with one person on board. The Inshore Lifeboat was launched and towed the vessel into Amble Marina where the ILB crew helped moor her safely alongside a pontoon.

A motor cruiser ran aground on the rocks off Hauxley Point to the south of Amble. Both lifeboats were launched and the vessel, with 5 persons on board was checked but no obvious damage was found, however it was apparent the vessel could not be re-floated until the next high tide made it possible to retrieve her from the rocks.
The ILB crew climbed onto the rocks and assisted in setting the vessels anchor, and transferred two females from the vessel onto Amble Lifeboat so they could be returned back to Amble, leaving three crew on board the casualty vessel. The lifeboats then returned to station until the tide rose, at which point they relaunched and assisted the casualty vessel out of the danger area, escorting it back into Amble Marina.

Both Amble Lifeboats were busy during the hot weather

Both lifeboats were called to the 12 metre sailing yacht ”SEA JAY” with four persons on board which had run aground 100 yards to the South of Amble Harbour.

She was laying on her side and taking a heavy buffeting in the 2 metre swell which was driving the vessel further onto the rocks.

The ILB took the tow rope from the ALB to the casualty, and once this was secured, the ALB took the strain and managed to turn the vessel’s head to sea.

This seemed to steady the casualty, but she was still hard aground on the rocks. The ILB then took two persons off and transferred them to the ALB where they were found to be cold and slightly shocked and were given warm drinks and blankets.
After 1.5 hrs the ALB was able to free the casualty off the rocks and make headway into deeper water where the vessel was tied alongside the ALB as they had no steerage. With this done, all three vessels entered Amble Harbour were the SEA JAY was moored alongside the quay wall overnight until she could be lifted out to inspect for damage underneath.

Commenting on the rescues RNLI Amble Coxswain John Connell said: ‘Everyone knows that our volunteer crews are available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. But as an increased number of people take to the water at this time of year, our crews are kept busier than ever. Fortunately, the generosity of the public in supporting us makes it possible for the RNLI to have the equipment and training necessary to undertake these rescues, whatever they may be’


Share this...
Share on Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter