Take your voice with you when you move

Posted on 15th February 2011 | in Community , Heritage & Tourism

Preparations are currently on track for a UK wide referendum to change the voting system for electing MPs to the UK Parliament.

Although at the time of writing, the date is not yet confirmed, the Government is proposing to hold a referendum on May 5. If you live in Northumberland and want to  cast a vote on the day, you must be on the county’s electoral register.

One  of the biggest reasons people fall off the electoral register is by moving house. Between mid-August and November each year,  annual canvass registration forms are delivered to every house in Northumberland and the results from the canvass are used to compile the electoral register.  If you did not respond to this form, or if you moved after this time, even within the county,  then you may have to update your registration.

This referendum will seek the UK public’s views on whether the system for electing the UK Parliament should change from ‘first past the post’ to the Alternative Vote.  The Electoral Commission will be posting out an explanatory  leaflet to every household in the UK, nearer polling day, which will explain proposed changes to the UK voting system.

You can pick up an electoral  registration form from any council contact centre, or  you can print off a form from www.aboutmyvote.co.uk  fill it in, sign it and send it back to The Electoral Registration Office, Northumberland County Council, County Hall , Morpeth, NE61 2EF. Alternatively  you can ring the elections office  direct  on  01670 533307 or email : elections@northumberland.gov.uk for advice and assistance.

Share this...
Share on facebook
Share on twitter