Easter is coming – but beware as chocolate poisoning is serious for dogs

Posted on 07th April 2022 | in Community

A few weeks ago we had Mal a Staffordshire Bull Terrier brought to us as an emergency.

Mal had eaten 500 grams of chocolate (naughty boy!) His owner immediately called us and we told her to come straight down.
Our vet Emily gave him an injection, subcutaneously (under his skin) to make him sick. This injection works pretty quickly and poor Mal started vomiting up a lot of undigested chocolate.

Mal made a good recovery. Photo: Coquet Vets

Poisoning with chocolate is due to the methylxanthine content (theobromine and caffeine). The amount of methylxanthine in different types of chocolate varies.

 

The darker and more bitter the chocolate, the more dangerous it is to dogs. In severe cases, muscle tremors, seizures, and heart failure can be seen.

If you think your pet has eaten chocolate, please call us immediately for advice on 01665 252250.
It is often useful to keep the wrapper with the ingredients on it, as this information will be needed.

Mal has made a full recovery due the quick action of his owner.

From the team at Coquet Vets
www.coquetvets.co.uk

Share this...
Share on Facebook
Facebook
Tweet about this on Twitter
Twitter

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.