Traffic diversions due to Northumbrian Water work
A five month scheme that will help prevent sewer flooding begins in November. Northumbrian Water announced it is investing £870,000 to upgrade the sewerage network. Customers are invited to find out more about the work and raise any questions or concerns they may have at a customer information session on Wednesday, November 7 2012 at St Mark’s URC church hall between 3.00pm and 7.00pm.
The improvement scheme will begin on Monday, November 19 2012. It involves installing a total of 168 metres of new sewer pipe at the disused railway line adjacent to Wellwood Street and will reduce the risk of flooding to six properties on Wellwood Street, Middleton Street and King Edward Street.
Ian Cunliffe, Northumbrian Water’s project manager, said: “We appreciate the distress that flooding causes customers; over a five year period we are investing more than £120million to reduce this risk. This scheme will provide some protection from flooding in the future.”
During the course of the essential work it will be necessary to have traffic management in place. There will be no work over Christmas and New Year and all dates are provisional and subject to change.
- From Monday, November 26 to Friday, November 30 there will be footpath closure and diversion adjacent to number 46 King Edward Street (providing access between Wellwood Street and King Edward Street)
- From Monday, November 19 2012 to Friday, March 29 2013 there will be footpath closure – Between numbers 37 and 38 Straffen Court to Middleton Street access will be available to Middleton Street from Straffen Court from the footpath at number 38 Straffen Court along the side of number 9 Middleton Street.
- From Wednesday, December 5 to Friday, December 14 there will be full road closure between numbers 29 and 44 Northumbria Terrace.
- From Wednesday, January 16 to Friday, January 18 2013 there will be partial road closure with barriers in the lane between King Edward Street and Middleton St – outside number 52 Middleton Street and number 43 King Edward Street.
- On Friday, March 1 2013 there will be partial road closure between numbers 29 and 44 Northumbria Terrace.
Northumbrian Water will also be building an underground storm water storage tank in land at the end of King Edward Street. There will be increased traffic to the site compound at the BT depot off Lindisfarne Road, accessed via Wellwood Street, and for deliveries via Middleton Street.
The water company will be working closely with Northumberland County Council and everything will be done to keep any disruption to a minimum. Customers who require further advice or have any special needs should ring Northumbrian Water on 0845 717 1100 or log on to www.nwl.co.uk.
It is very unlikely that anyone from Northumbrian Water will need to gain access into customers’ homes while the work is being carried out in the area. If customers are in any doubt of a caller claiming to be from the water company, they should not let them into their home but instead call the company’s customer centre on 0845 717 1100 to confirm the caller’s identity.