Amble & District Local History website
Now in its seventh year the Amble administered local history website continues to assemble and publish online the history of the area bounded by the old ecclesiastical parishes of Shilbottle, Warkworth and Chevington. Particular emphasis is placed on the relationship between the port of Amble and the surrounding mining villages.
The website is managed by Mike and Paula Young, lifelong Amble residents. Contributions of any local history research projects or material suitable for publication online are most welcome.
Two ongoing areas of research are the history of the WW2 Amble port coastal defence artillery battery that was located near to Signal Cottage. Mike has collected copies of the battery logbook and plans from the National Archives in London, but apart from RAF aerial photographs lack any images of the battery during World War2. One of the gun buildings was later to be reused as the Seaview Café. Any recollections or photographs of the site during WW2 would be most welcome.
The second area of research is the pre-1837 local mining history. A number of coal pits are mentioned in various 18th and 19th century documents, even revealing mining activity and shafts now located within the modern town of Amble itself. There was no legal requirement to produce abandonment plans of mine workings during this period, so precise information is difficult to obtain. Any information on the early mining history of Amble and district is also most welcome.
The website and discussion forum can be found at www.fusilier.co.uk